No 1 on the list should be the game bird hunting licence. Check your bank account, the full season licence has gone up one dollar. That’s right $91 this season.
The camo gear, the special maimais, and even the decoys mean the ducks are duped into thinking there are real ducks on the water.
Special paint on the decoy makes them look lifelike. Some decoys are made to look as if they are sleeping or feeding.
There are also decoys that paddle and splash the water. Then there are electronic callers. The ducks don’t really stand a chance…It is just as well there is a bag limit.
• Game bird hunting licence, regulations booklet.
• Carry firearms licence at all times.
• Confirm access with landowners.
• Get permit to hunt on Fish & Game and DOC land. • Fix the maimai: leaks, rotten boards seating etc.
• Clean decoys.
• Vaccinations and worming for the dog.
• Check regulations for the region you are hunting in. • Hunt ethically and responsibly.
• Don’t drink and hunt. Alcohol impairs judgement.
• Be a tidy kiwi – take your rubbish when you leave.
• Shotgun in tip-top condition. Check sighting. • Treat every firearm as loaded.
• Store firearms and ammunition safely.
• Always point firearms in a safe direction.
• Load only when ready to fire.
• Always, always - identify your target.
• Check the firing zone.