Interested in studying wetland birds or wetland restoration? – the Wetland Care scholarship could be for you!
Wetland Care research scholarships are Ducks Unlimited-sponsored scholarships applicable to any student currently enrolled or affiliated with a New Zealand university. Funds are aimed at encouraging and supporting students who wish to push the boundaries of what is known about wetland restoration and conservation. Starting in 2018, up to $20,000 a year will be available to cover one to four scholarships of $5000 each. Funds can be used to support student living costs or to cover the costs of equipment purchase, logistics and consumables.
Applications will be accepted from students/researchers affiliated with universities interested in making a difference through wetland conservation. Funding is aimed at student projects designed to facilitate better management of New Zealand wetlands or their environment. The student project must be based in New Zealand or be of direct benefit to New Zealand based on current wetland conservation issues.
Preference will be given to applications who demonstrate:
- innovative thinking that pushes the boundaries of what is known about New Zealand wetland conservation
- research on native threatened wetland bird species
- research with clear objectives and measurable outcomes
- research with a strong wetland management and conservation applications
- research covering any ‘preferred research topics’ listed on the Ducks Unlimited/Wetland Care website: www.ducks.org.nz.
Wetland Care will award up to four scholarships a year, during two biannual funding rounds for the next three years (2018 to 2021). The first funding round, consisting of one to two $5000 scholarships, will be advertised in September. The second funding rounds,
consisting of a further one to two $5000 scholarships, will be advertised in February. Funds will be paid in one lump sum to successful candidates upon completion of the milestones agreed at the time the scholarship is accepted.
How and when to apply
- Applications for the September 2018 funding round will open until November 1, 2018. Depending upon the quality of applications, we may award up to two $5000 scholarships.
- The next applications will be called for in February 2019. This round will consists of up to two more $5000 scholarships.
Want to know more?